The problem with not having national standards is how it negatively affects the nd or slow kids. For example, my GS9's mother kept custody of one of her children. That one just turned 7 this week, and finished 1st grade. In K, she attended at least 3 schools, each in a different state. I don't know who many schools she attended in 1st. Another woman I know has 2 children, 6 & 8. The 8 year old just finished 2nd grade, she attended a new school district for each grade, 2 different states. These kids are average, and they're being set up for failure.
Now, our gifted kids aren't bothered with holes or skips in their education, they figure it out quickly. But a ND kid that misses fractions in 2nd grade because she went to school in one state is at a huge disadvantage moving to another state for 3rd grade where they do have fractions in 2nd.

Austin, you've described an excellent, individualized education. But that won't work for kids that move from state to state unless they used the same curriculum. And I really don't like use of specific curriculum being dictated at a state or federal level.

But if the states all agree they will introduce cursive handwriting in 2nd grade, study of ancient civilizations & fractions in 3rd, etc., it will give a common goal. If a child knows the material, pass them, if a child needs to work through it another year, hold them back.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 06/26/09 06:13 PM.