Val, I couldn't agree with you more. I moved to a different state the summer after 7th grade, and other than math, I repeated my entire 7th grade year over in 8th grade. This was not because I failed 7th grade, but it was because that it what they taught in 8th grade here vs where I came from. And I would've HATED to know what schools were like in a different county, as I attended one of the best in the state.

Also, this is setting national standards, not limiting students who are above the curve. In fact, this may actually help reason that certain children do not belong in a classroom with their peers solely based on age.

In my high school, there were three tracks for each grade year. So students were put on a track that met their academic needs/abilities. This needs to be introduced into all grade levels nationally, not just high school. I personally feel like the fact that currently school districts are trying to make sure there are a good mix of students in all classrooms is actually hindering ALL children, regardless of what level of learning they may be on... I will stop there, for now, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE my state's schools to be held to the same standards as each other let alone the rest of the nation.