Originally Posted by Ellipses
Homeschooling should have an option to be in this curriculum and test with it. Many colleges and universities (and jobs) do not accept their vague requirements and just stay away. These students should have these options also. Everyone I have ever worked with at colleges and other jobs just dismiss homeschool for this reason.
A standard is not a curriculum. There are a lot of curriculums designed to teach to the same standard. There absolutely should NOT be a requirement to use a certain curriculum. It's hard enough to work with a school district which has chosen a certain curriculum that does not work for your child, to have it mandated by the state would be horrible. I think holding a minimum standard for a grade level would be acceptable no matter where the child was educated, public, private, or homeschooled.
Also, I know 15 kids from 4 families that were homeschooled partially or fully, 13 of the 15 were accepted to the college of their choice, the other 2 are still too young. I don't know any homeschool failures. Statistics show homeschoolers outperform public schoolers on standardized tests. Of course there are some that fall below average, but most are above the average.