I can't agree here, especially because individual classrooms typically have highly diverse groups students (intelligence, interests, age, socioeconomic background, race/ethnicity, etc. etc.). Thus, the argument that each state has different needs doesn't hold water. We'd have to address individual students to solve the problem, and as we all know, it doesn't happen. It's better to create overall standards and group by ability.

Arithmetic isn't region-specific and I don't see why what's taught should be different in different states. Science isn't far behind in that regard. I expect that there will always be room to teach state history and read works of local literature. Yet the goals can be the same: learn to read critically and understand the meaning of a long text. Learn about how events influence one another, etc. etc.

The most successful education systems in the world are based on national standards (example, top-rated Finland). Our practice of allowing individual school boards to set education policies means that we duplicate effort constantly and everywhere. This costs a fortune! The US School systems would save hundreds of millions or billions if we weren't wasting so much time and energy on the myth that local control is somehow better.

Seriously, how much influence do individuals actually yield over a school board? And what does one hope to gain from it? If parents need that much control (and some do, as our homeschoolers have demonstrated), then they can homeschool.

Also, this plan is being led by 46 governors, not by the federal government.

Val