I really needed expert advice in homeschooling my 11 year old 2E child but could never find any, none that I could afford anyway. Our insurance finally approved testing at a child study center. My son with motor dyapraxia and hypotonia has fatigue issues and trouble doing physical things like writing, but he reads and seems to comprehend at a much higher level than most kids his age. He was given a neuropsychological assessment yesterday from 9:00 to 5:30 with an hour and a half for lunch. He was nervous about taking the test, had an upset stomach and spent too much time in the bathroom and this made us a little late to the appointment. Getting there was stressful because traffic was really bad.

Luckily, the neuropsychologist/professor and her student who did most of the testing while she watched, were able to put my son at ease and I think that is so important for my son. I think it went well for a while at least. Before the testing started, my son said he told the student that he was also interested in neuropsychology and that he had recently read an interesting magazine article in Discover magazine about how memories are formed and that each time you remember something you replace it with a slightly modified version so the more you use the memory, the more you change it. The student told him that going through the testing might be good experience for him if he decides to go into neuropsychology later on and has to test people. I think the fact that he talked to my son for a few minutes really helped.

During the lunch break he seemed happy and said it was fun, but closer to 4 he was getting tired and that is when they gave him a math test. He said he told them he remembered working on similar problems at home but he just couldn't think any more. He said he told them he was used to taking breaks after each subject but there wasn't time for him to do this except to go to the restroom. He was so tired that he didn't even want to talk about the test at all until today. He said it was hard for him to get that feeling of being watched on the two-way mirror and having them write down every little thing he said on their notepads out of his mind and he didn't want to think about it any more.

Last edited by Lori H.; 06/17/09 12:15 PM.