for my DD who is now 5 and HG+, there were a couple of signs, though we did not really take it all seriously until this past year, and regret that. The main reason we did NOT see her as HG is that we thought all HG kids were early readers, and my daughter had little interest beyond three letter words, which she stopped reading when she got possibly too much attention for it at age 3.

what she did do:

age 22 mos- came to me with scraps of paper with letters on it. "O", "A", "B" very clearly.. never showed her these things.

age 2y1mo- started preschool "play group" and wanted me to leave immediately, saying to the teacher and i "i want my privacy at school". At this time she was also thought to be the oldest child in the class when she was the youngest by three months. Other parents and even teachers flustered when realizing their error.

age 2y3mo- could sight read all the names of the kids in her school and i was "accused" of teacher her, though i did nothing of the sort.

age 3 y1mo- started reading three letter words, but when it got a lot of attention at school, stopped immediately. Was not interested again until almost 5 (reason we thought NOT gifted).

age 3=4= told me FedEx brings the christmas presents, not Santa.Told me tooth fairy "doesn't make any sense" to her.

age 4y10mos- told me the teacher at kindergarden orientation lied to her: "she said it was going to be a big day for us. It was only 2 hours!!".

irene