have the impression that you 'worked with' your child and therefore, that's why he/she is the way they are?

I was having a discussion with a friend who was told "it's obvious you work her" in reference to her DD3. She told me that now she knows what I mean about people thinking that I must have really drilled the alphabet and numbers and whatever else people thought it odd that he knew so young. Why do people assume that as opposed to thinking that hey, maybe they are the way they are w/ nothing from us. Of course, we interact and talk/play/laugh/etc. with them, but if that's the cause of it, then more children should be this way, right?

You can't buy a toy for a child nowadays that doesn't have some educational function, so does that mean that you're drilling your child if you provide a toy? And that you're forcing them to learn if you play with them with said toy?

I'm thankful that we've encountered great teachers who've said "it is what it is" in reference to DSs abilities and don't think that this is something that *we* want or need for DS. I just get frustrated when people have the idea that I'm a taskmaster who began instruction prior to conception, when it's the farthest thing from reality. If anything, DH and I were more about the play than anything formal when DS was younger. We figured there'd be plenty of time for the formal stuff when he started school, we just wanted to enjoy our kid and we did (and still are, of course).

Anyone else have these kinds of experiences?