You know, this might be getting into some deep water but I'm beginning to realize that it's not about our kids operating in the system. It's about the system operating on our kids. Public school is an institution. It is designed to program our kids into functioning productively in our society. In that regard, it's just like prison or a mental health institution. That's what the pledge of allegiance is all about. That's why they break the child down by having them do what amounts to mental ditch digging. It almost seems as if it's designed to make the kids crack so they can weed out anyone who can think for themselves and order them drugged or out.

Sadly, functioning productively in our society is defined as spending a lot of money on consumer goods! If that's not your cup of tea, you probably won't be digging the public school system.

So, what I'm thinking is that being gifted isn't really about the child's IQ. It's about the parents' reticence to allow their kids to be another brick in the wall. There are parents out there who have high IQ kids but they don't see anything wrong with the handouts and the coloring. They just do what they're told. It's interesting that DS6's psychologist told me that half my son's behavior problems were the fact that I allowed him to "develop a personality." She said that letting him go see ducks, visit train stores and whatever else that he wanted to learn about was good for him as a person but that it worked against him learning to function in a public school.

I hope this post doesn't make me seem like a raving lunatic

Last edited by giftedticcyhyper; 02/11/09 08:52 PM.