Originally Posted by giftedticcyhyper
I had an interesting talk yesterday with a child psychologist specializing in ADHD who said that kids have different tolerance levels for boredom.
Thoughts?

Kids are also asked to handle different quantities of boredom, based on their LOG and which readiness level is being taught to in that child's particular classroom. In 2nd grade everyone in the school was 'sure' that my DS had 'severe ADHD.' In 3rd grade he was a model student. the significant thing that changed was the teacher - both were wonderful, experienced teachers, but one differentiated in ways that stressed his weaknesses: handwriting, speed at looking up words in a dictionary, and providing detail in writing assignments, while the other differentiated to his strenghts: curiosity and abstract thought. Are you suprised that the children in the classrooms reacted to the ways that the two teachers felt about DS and that in 2nd grade there were a great many complaints about social problems and in 3rd grade he was quite popular?

the scary moral here is that DH and I were so very close to accepting the school's version of 'blame the kid' by the end of 2nd grade, and DS had totally accepted that teacher's veiw of himself. Do you wonder why I keep hanging around here and telling my story over and over and over again? That is how convinsing the school was back then, and I had almost no one around who understood.

Sweet Dreams,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com