Originally Posted by Jen74
Along those lines, does anyone else find themselves in an awkward position when your kid says anything out of the ordinary? Once, at a friend's birthday party, my DD-then-not-quite 2 said, "I'm full. Can I be excused?" in completely non-little-kid articulation. One of the other moms looked at me and said, "Must be nice to be a teacher and have all that time in the summer to work with your kid." As if I drilled language development with my toddler! I never know how to respond to that stuff....
I have had similar comments by people that really don't know me well, but I don't at all act defensive. I typically respond in a matter of fact way, or comical way. Like I would call them on it and say "what do you mean? do you think I do flashcards with her all day?...you must not know me because I am not one of those crazy moms" Or you could pull the whole "I am off for the summer, we spend time outside and by the pool." Or since I am very sarcastic I could easily pull of one of those "yes I started flashcards while she was in the womb and I drill her for about 2 hours per day...I am determined for my child to be the brightest and the best." Depending on my audience, I may chuckle at the end of this statement....or I may give them a deadpan stare so they are slightly concerned. I will admit, it is kind of fun to watch peoples responses...because everyone who knows me knows I am nothing like that.