Well, we are going to a developmental pediatrician next thursday; referred by the regular pediatrician to find out more about possible auditory problems for ds8, and some social and attention issues.

I am going to hold off on requesting the school do an evaluation at least until after this appointment, some solid sounding advice from another thread. It just seems like the process will go much faster, and I will have more information sooner this way. Then, if I need to work with the school, I can do so with more info in hand.

I figure I will bring my list of thoughts from my above post, I have these 'vanderbilt scale' sheets on add that the regular pediatrician requested we fill out, but I will also bring copies to the dev. pediatrician.

I wish we could get the CogAT and Naglieri results from school (like, yesterday!), I think they were asking about bringing any standardized testing results. I am going to call back and make sure I understand all they do and don't want at this point. All this reminds me of the Stanford Diagnostic Math test he took in 1st grade where he got a near perfect score on the concepts part and only tried about 3 of the computation questions frown

And I also read this...looking at this book for the info on sibling iq similarities and found this discussion of early chronic ear infections and how this can cause problems with simpler concepts & rote memorization: computation, phonics, handwriting, spelling, but a child could still be ok with more complex things.
Dottie, maybe this is where part of what you were talking about is coming from.
Hope the link works.

Intellectual Giftedness in Young Children, L.K.Silverman, Pg 79 Severe Early Ear Infection