Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
For ex: a 20 pt difference w/ avg VCI/PRI and even lower PSI/WM affects a child greatly in the classroom. So would a >20pt difference putting PSI/WMI in the avg range and VCI/PRI in the 140s, have an adverse affect on an HG+ kid? The report I read suggested not. But if you do you have more info and more complex info in your head compared to age-mates, would an avg PSI/WMI have an affect on performance?

Let me preface this by saying that I find IQ tests painfully limited. I have had multiple tests done on multiple kids, but they were all for specific purposes and not because I was curious. I think I've gotten more questions than answers. I'm glad others have found tests more useful because it's nice if they help someone! In observing my own kids, I think personality trumps ability all day long, so that two kids with very similar scores appear drastically different in everyday life because of who they are. I almost wish I didn't know anything about their scores and how they get classified because the tests are just so restricted.

But with that caveat, on to the question above. I have one kid with average PSI and one kid with major strengths in PSI/WMI. In my observations of them, the speedy kid takes on information quite differently. He didn't learn to read, simply seemed to master it one day to the next. He spelled like an adult by K because he remembers any word he's seen once. He didn't *learn* multiplication tables but saw them once during a long car trip, and then he could multiply. He has a low tolerance for school because of the speed, more than the IQ. It's almost painful for him to go slowly. My kid with average PSI needs some repetition to learn and needs much more exposure to a topic for mastery. The abililty to think deeply about something isn't much different between them, but acquisition of new information is hugely different.

I think speed matters in early elementary school because of the constant repetition and how slow the curriculum advances. My kids need different environments partly based on the speed differences. I think it can matter as an adult in some areas that require digesting huge amounts of information - med school or law school - but much less so in fields where there's emphasis on creativity and production over time like most grad schools, not to mention art, engineering, etc.