Originally Posted by CFK
Originally Posted by Jool
I'm not sure why the test publishers are so insistent on keeping subtests that are poor measures of 'g'.

Because, according to a study I read and if I understand your question, IQ tests are generally used in an academic setting to determine school placement. This study showed that FSIQ, not GAI, correlated better with longterm school success. Those things like processing speed and working memory, which have little to do with how intelligent a person is, have very much to do with how successful a person is in school (notice it correlates with how well a person does in school, not how successful they are in their life acheivements). I think low PSI and WMI scores are often discounted with no thought given as to how they might negatively affect a child in an advanced setting. A huge discrepancy may not have any effect on a child's ability to be the world's next great thinker, but might very well effect how they get through school. More than a few of histories great minds were washouts in the classroom.

There are lots of abilities and traits that predict school performance that have nothing to do with intelligence (i.e., g). Do they belong in an IQ test? I think it's reasonable to say they don't. I like the idea of preserving IQ scores as a more generalized measure of abilities not contaminated with more specific abilities. If you want the IQ test to be an even better predictor of school performance, why not add some measures of sustained attention, motivation, vision, hearing, mood, etc... There are just too many specific abilities you could include and there are other cognitive tests that are much better measures of these specific skills. But I know it's not going to change any time soon - just food for thought... smile