Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Originally Posted by indigo
There is no extenuating circumstance which makes it OK to justify taking a weapon to school. None.

How about when my teenager didn't think about why he shouldn't bring a paring knife to school to cut up his apple at lunchtime? (He didn't get caught, and will not make that particular mistake again, but I was pretty shocked. Nevertheless, I think he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt for that stunt.)
LOL, a paring knife to cut up his apple at lunchtime is quite different than bringing weapons to school for protection... unless your child needed protection from his apple at lunchtime. sick

While I understand that the school may have a zero-tolerance policy for knives of any kind... or knives which are not the disposable plastic type often dispensed with fast-food, carryout, etc, and therefore may classify (or mis-classify) all knives as weapons (because they COULD be used as weapons, although that was not the bringer's intent)... that is a different topic than what the OP mentioned... which was bringing weapons to school as a response to bullying:
Originally Posted by most recent post by OP
Is it any wonder kids feel the need to bring weapons to school for protection when the adults in their lives refuse to protect them?
The intent stated here was "bring weapons to school for protection". This type of talk begins to turn the tables and cast the victim as the bully. There is no extenuating circumstance which makes it OK to justify taking a weapon to school. None.