Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by howdy
Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by Ametrine
Is it any wonder kids feel the need to bring weapons to school for protection when the adults in their lives refuse to protect them?
This line of thinking is problematic: call it revenge or retaliation, it is wrong. There is no extenuating circumstance which makes it OK to justify this.

People need to learn to handle disappointment without losing their composure or lashing out at others. Learning to anticipate the likely consequences of one's actions is key to conducting one's self appropriately. Many people learn by observing those around them (as if by osmosis) and others may need or benefit from direct teaching, counseling, therapy, etc.

Escalation to violence of any type is not acceptable. Use of weapons of any type is a course of action which does not resolve a person's bitter feelings but rather results in further social isolation.

I did not take that quote as justifying violence. The poster may have been saying that they are intervening where the school failed to — which does model an acceptable way to get out of a very dire situation (without using violence).

THIS is a parent describing intervening where the school failed to:
Originally Posted by original post
We called in the local authorities to talk to the principal and the kids involved, but the principal is not very responsive to us thus far. In the past, we told him our child has past "issues" with the children involved and suggested ideas to separate the kids. He did nothing.
THIS does not model an acceptable way to get out of a very dire situation (without using violence):
Originally Posted by most recent post by OP
Is it any wonder kids feel the need to bring weapons to school for protection when the adults in their lives refuse to protect them?
The phrase "Is it any wonder..." is typically used to justify, support, side with, show understanding and empathy for... whatever follows that phrase.
In the specific case at hand... justifying a child bringing a weapon to school.
Not OK.

I agree that I would not support a child (or anyone else) taking a weapon to school or being violent. However, I was taking all the information in the thread into account when I made my judgement about the quoted statement.

Leaving the current school for homeschool or another type of schooling is modeling how to get out of a dire school setting.

I could be wrong, but I would rather give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by howdy; 11/08/17 04:07 PM.