I think I'm with you, 'Neato. I just got off the phone with DH, and our ultimate problem is that she has made it clear in every possible way that she wants him out of the class...with the exception of actually saying, "I want him out," of course. That's a no-win situation there...

Add to that the fact that there are no pros at all in the column for this class, only cons, except, of course, that DS7 says he likes it. My analysis of his liking the class: I think he likes doing the living math stuff, and we can do that at home in a manner that works better for him. This class isn't necessary for that.

Honestly, the big reason I wanted him in the co-op is the social stuff, and now I fear the social is going to be bad social. After all, if the adult treats him as invisible, how will the kids treat him? So the social risk is very high. These are kids he's going to be spending time with for years if we keep homeschooling (as it looks like we will), and though they're nice kids, if they see an adult treating him so disrespectfully, then I fear they'll follow her lead. Not good.

Ultimately, it's a whole lot of inconvenience and potential bad stuff--educationally and socially--just so that he can play with pattern blocks. The risk/reward ratio makes it pretty clear to me that it's not sensible to stay.

Add to that the fact that this woman's kids are in JFLL with us, and I just think too much can go wrong in that relationship for us to stay. We can leave gracefully now. We might not be able to get out later without burning bridges.

I think ultimately what did it for me was "follow your gut" and realizing that she's not actually doing any teaching. It's just not a good class, and I don't feel good about having him in there.

I think you're right that I have to go back to my "No academic co-ops" rule, M&M. I was going against my instinct here, and I think it was wishful thinking. I hoped that since her kids are GT, too, she'd be more open and aware. But it didn't happen. Live and learn...

You saw it coming, huh, 'Neato? Why didn't you stop me!?! It's your job to save me from myself! wink

Kriston