Welcome, Ethinx! smile

Originally Posted by Ethinx
I'm not savvy with many abbreviations but I'll get there.
Here is the old thread on common abbreviations and acronyms.

The school has very generously appointed our son with his own math teacher. That teacher is fairly open minded and willing to teach the curriculum that we design.
Evidently an advantage to living a bit off the grid is that your school is not interested in forcing/contriving equal academic outcomes amongst all the school children.

The school does not have a gifted program nor faculty experienced with gifted learners...
Possibly a few of the teachers may be interested to join the free Davidson Educators Guild.

The school is trying and the time they allot to our son I think is very rare for a public school but is it enough? Would he be better served in a gifted school or a progressive private school? Would he connect more to like minded peers?
This may depend upon what your other options are. Here is roundup of links on school fit and choosing a school.

connect...coping
While failure to connect with other kids could be related to the lack of an intellectual peer group, kids often form connections with other kids based on common interests... they may have playground friends, sports team friends, etc. Although he may not be lonely at this time, you may want to be sure that he has the ability to make social connections. You might want to look at direct teaching of social skills (non-verbal cues, friendship, perspective taking, etc) and/or read up on the autism spectrum, just in case you may find that this applies to him.

This is an illustration of what drives my interest in gifted issues: seeing the need to pass along what I have learned, to the many newcomers who are seeking information to build a knowledge base.