My 2E 6th grader has been in a spec Ed school since 3rd grade. It was a tough decision because the peers were not appropriate. But it was the only way we could get her the level of remediation her LD issues needed. As a 3rd grader she was placed in an 8th grade reading comprehension group - using audio books. It was still too low and too slow but she was so happy to be able to do it she didn't say anything until the end of the year. Starting in 4th grade she started a 1-1 high school literature curriculum. Also she has done enrichment projects on a topic of her choice since being placed at the spec Ed school. And she gets tons - and I do mean tons - of enrichment on the outside.

Has it been perfect? No. And it seems she is now outgrowing what the spec Ed school can do for her.

You can make it work but only if the special needs school is open to it. They may not do it perfectly or at the appropriate level but the effort makes a huge difference.

My DD is a super sweet, emotionally mature kid. She is empathetic and interested in understanding other people. She gets that each of the kids she goes to school with is there for a reason and is working on what they need. Your DS may not have this skill so may experience it differently. Even with this skill she gets frustrated sometimes. Outside contact with neurotypical peers is crucial.

Now in 6th grade DD spends one day a week in our district's pullout TAG program. Trying to decide best course of action for next year.

My btdt advice is to address the current issue. Once you get his anxiety, frustration, ED or whatever is causing the meltdowns under control you will be in a better position to make decisions for what he will need in middle school.

When I first arrive on the board the experienced parents told me it's a marathon not a sprint. 5 years later I can attest to that. One step at a time...