Originally Posted by SaturnFan
If you knew anything about ADHD, you would know it is measured via a scale. A rating scale.

Which is still mostly relative.

Just like any other diagnosis in the DSM.

And how many of the 297 disorders require actual blood, MRI, bone, Xray, cardiogram, gentic, ect, ect testing to reach a diagnosis?

You don't believe in any of them, or just ADHD? All of us here have children who were diagnosed with giftedness using a scale. There is nothing out there to indicate that it is any more reliable than the scales used to diagnose depression, ADHD, or anxiety.

The scale is man made, groups of people proclaiming what ADHD ought to look like, how it ought to be perceived. The pharmaceutical industry in itself makes billions, and as such how can this be assure that said scales are not tilted toward bias?

You appear to have a specific and non-sensical problem with the idea of the disorder known as ADHD. That is fine, it is your right. But don't be surprised if mentioning it on a public forum full of educated people gets you some grief. I believe in science and ADHD is backed up by science. You are free to have your own opinion, but I'll stick with fact.

FWIW I to have been diagnosed with ADHD, and in my case it has done far more harm then good. Medication aside, I for a long time believed I was defective, which fueled my depression. I repressed myself and my talents. It was not until I started researching psychiatry (and having seen it first hand) that lead me to reverse this notion about myself.

I myself think like a scientist and always have. Engineering, physics, biology, and the like all have nuance to me. They all follow scientific reasoning and scientific integrity. All can be quantified, explicitly measured, predicted and such predictions be verified by the outcome of a controlled experiment. Psychiatry on the other hand does not hold all these rigors relying on speculation and un-measurable observation. Thats not to say I do not believe in mental disorders, but in the case of ADHD where does it stand?

And Ok, say EMRI validates ADHD. How do we know said ADHD is not a gift in of itself? How do we know its not a normal reaction to a restricted environment? Before the ADHD label came along kids existed for centuries with similar brains, yet as of late the diagnosis is sky rocketing in schools.

Last edited by Edward; 11/16/16 05:07 PM.