Originally Posted by NotherBen
So many of DS' classes start with an "about me" assignment. Well, I can see that: even, or especially, at advanced levels, the teacher wants a head start on who his students are. Their first tip on who DS is: he can't do that assignment. The teachers tell me "it's an easy 5 points, to start off the year" but now that DS has a diagnosis of social anxiety, I can ask the teachers to do something else for those 5 points, because he can't. Can't. Do it.

Yeah, we've tried "pretend" and "BS it" but, ugh, gifted = too straightforward?
This.

First day of the 4th grade GT class my son was asked to write one of these essays. He wrote 2 sentences while most other kids wrote 1 1/2-3 pages. Teacher told me at the first parent-teacher conference that this had her very worried that it was a bad placement. Turned out 6th grade of the program it WAS a very bad fit and this was a sign of other troubles to come. Although she came to have a lot of affection for my son & said he reminded her a lot of her own kid. My son had an extremely hard time talking about himself and we now have it in his 504 that teachers need to re-frame prompts like this.

I'm worried about that college essay. I intend to hire him a college essay tutor. Although he claims he already knows what he wants to write about.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/23/16 09:06 AM.