NotherBen, this might not help your ds, but fwiw for anyone else out there who's child is struggling with the "about me" task" - those beginning of the year "about me" assignments were beyond challenging for my ds with his expressive writing challenge. One of the things his SLP worked with him on was developing a set of responses he could use for that specific assignment, since it's an assignment that crops up again and again year after year. In his case, memorizing and having that prepared list served several purposes: learning how to write it to begin with, practicing it over time as it's asked for again and again and hence helping it become less work, and also repeated assignments were actually good for ds in that he could compare the same type of assignment from year to year and see that he was making progress, when it most often felt (to him) like he wasn't making any progress, because he was so caught up in the day-to-day drudgery of always feeling like he wasn't any good at writing.

Hope that makes sense!

polarbear