Thanks for sharing the article eco - I don't have time at the moment to share thoughts, but fwiw, everything you wrote about your ds I could have written about mine, from the first paragraph up until the paragraph about spinning tales (and even that he got to eventually, this year in high school lol!). On the other hand, rather than "tales", when he was younger (and also still sometimes now), he simply doesn't realize he hasn't done something. Like turning in an assignment, for instance, he will tell us he's turned it in, and genuinely believe he's turned it in, and then find it in his notebook two days later. Or think he's lost something that's sitting right next to him.

One place (among many) that this has caused challenges for my ds is in self-advocacy. He often doesn't ask for accommodations when he should (in high school) because he is still essentially learning basic communication skills. He's come a long way (with a lot of practice), but he is unsure enough of his ability to know what he's "supposed" to say (his words) in many situations that he won't speak up and he just accepts not getting something he could get or needs. For instance, he needs extended time on math tests due to his other challenges. His teacher knows this and gives him extended time on classroom tests by letting him finish up during the following day when he has free time. DS ran out of time to do all the problems on his final exam, but rather than ask for extended time he just opted to answer with "educated guesses" on the rest of the questions.

Gotta run - thanks for posting!

polarbear