Originally Posted by polarbear
On the other hand, rather than "tales", when he was younger (and also still sometimes now), he simply doesn't realize he hasn't done something. Like turning in an assignment, for instance, he will tell us he's turned it in, and genuinely believe he's turned it in, and then find it in his notebook two days later. Or think he's lost something that's sitting right next to him.
The thing that is the absolutely most baffling to me re: DS is that he doesn't realize that he HAS done something, or at least doesn't know how or bother communicating that.

Frequent conversation in our house involves my hovering and making DS do some worksheet, DS resisting, my continuing to apply pressure, DS finally complying and completing the work--

And then announcing, very emotionally, that he is SO TIRED OF THIS WORKSHEET because he has already done it three times.

And then--I dig through the backpack and find the worksheet. Three copies of it. All of them partially, mostly, or completely...completed.

I think he is just so beat down. I don't know what to call this. Learned helplessness, maybe?

I suspect that DS is totally astonished any time he looks in his binder and finds his work where it is supposed to be, ready to turn in. I suspect he has no idea how this has occurred, whether it's his own doing, my doing, or some combination.