I am new at the posting, but have been looking around on the site for the past few months. I have spent the summer in distress about my DS4 (5 in 2 months), who was starting the Pre-K at Public school. He started last Thursday and it was worse than anticipated. Tried again Friday and aren't sending him back Monday. He spoke 3 inaudible words on Thursday and said nothing on Friday, but when I pick him up it is nonstop talking. He ask me about the Gazebo outside, because he had been looking at it out the window of his class. On Friday he locked me out of the car and begged for me not to make him go in there. The night before he told me he would runaway from school and he was never going back. There are more examples to list, but I will spare you. Needless to say, this is not my son!!! He was distant on the first day and started lashing out more on the following.

Before starting school I called the GT teacher and emailed, with no replies. Spoke to the counselor, who says oh he will be fine and testing is unneccessary, because if you test this young they almost always test gifted. Along with a book recommendation that pales in comparision to anything else I have read. I guess it is fine if you want more opinion than research, cartoon illustrations throughout, and dumbed down writing. I guess I take offense to underestimating my son's abilities and mine as well.

School teacher just says it's okay and he'll get along with the program. What program I ask myself? He tells me they are having snacks, playing on the playground, group bathroom trips, and singing nursery songs. Head, shoulders, knees, and toes anyone? What is he suppose to do? At home he is labeling parts of the skeletal system and organs, why would he point to his head while singing along. He has mastered all the skills for Pre-K and almost all of K. We struggle with some fine motor, but what is in his head and what thoughts he conveys, I don't understand how I or they can expect him to assimilate to his age peers.

After my ramblings, my questions are:

1. Is it right to not send him back? (I guess I'm seeking validation.)

2. We are strongly considering Montessori, becuase of individual pace and flexibility of learning. This school goes up to 8th grade and then off to find another option for high school. Comments?

3. GT school?

4. Other private?

I worry about him because he is so self-directed. Montessori is basically how we naturally function at home, so it seems like a good fit, but getting in can prove challenging because of size limitations. I just want more info on long term adjustment from Montessori. I just feel like right now with Public we are getting the response of we will just keep smashing away until your round son fits into our square hole. I do not want to lose my son!!! What is wrong with being a square?