Originally Posted by LAF
First, I would try and find a developmental pediatrician, since I think you are going to need someone who understands child development. Secondly, does OCD, ASD, giftedness run in your family? I have been on these boards for a while, and read a lot here-but have no medical background smile -and what you describe to me sounds like giftedness frustration due to asynchrony (but if you are seeing toys being lined up, poor eye contact, etc. or you have it in your family and you know the signs for your particular situation then you should go to a pediatric developmental psychiatrist.)

Also, you spend more time with your child than anyone else, if you have alarms going off, there's probably fire. But, that said, since I started on this path, a lot of what I thought was true has changed over time.

OCD/ASD and giftedness does run in DH's family; quite heavily. A lot of his family tree is full of very-high achievers, innovators, Presidents, etc. A lot also have the 2e characteristics of ASD or OCD, as well. I'm adopted, so I'm not sure what is on my side but I was a MG kid and DH was a HG kid and his brothers were HG and PG. DS does not line up his toys, but he does pick them up and keep things neat. He has great eye contact, but at 12 months old, I expressed concern for ASD because I wasn't sure if DS was not responding to his name or if he heard and just was too into whatever he was doing at the time. We've since come to figure out it was the later. He's become much more gregarious since 12 months...mostly because I've been super diligent about getting him around LOTS of other kiddos and working on his social skills. I still wonder about the mild end of ASD and possible OCD, though. A developmental pedi sounds like the route to go for us, definitely!