I could have written that exact same post, for the most part. DS is 15 months and we've been on 3 play dates the last couple of weeks that I would call nothing short of disastrous and isolating for me. DS is incredibly tall for his age and looks and acts like most 2 year old, so when I set up a play time with kids his own age it gets awkward quickly. The other kid is usually barely toddling along and here comes my DS running passed them to kick the ball back to me. After he makes the sign for food and says "food", I give him a snack pouch and he says "thank you" and signs it. He will then usually proceed to take his shoes off and get comfy, maybe look for a book. All the while, their kid has just pointed at something and maybe said one word. *facepalm* I don't even know what to say to the other mom. Ever. I've tried saying "kids all develop at different rates" and "he just started doing that"(which is a lie). I try so hard to downplay the differences, but they are starting to become so blatantly obvious now. I'm not so much worried about DS, he makes friends no matter what. I'm the one self-conscious because I don't want to rub it in, I just want my kid to enjoy playing with other kids his age. Maybe we'll find our "tribe". I live in a college town, so there are bound to be some other gifted kiddos around here.