I don't see it as morning the giftedness or potential for future success (which while correlated isn't exactly a guarantee). I think what the OP is trying to get at is mourning the loneliness of the parenting journey and the isolation.

You think you've joined the parenting club where everyone stands around at the park and complains about their kid doing x, y or z and can for the most part relate. Only to discover that your biggest complaints are sadklfjsdljkf, asdkjfsdlkf and asdfio which you can't say a word about because by doing so generally results in stunned silence, zero sympathy (I only wish my kid had that problem) and/or judgmental assumptions that you are sacrificing their childhood and FORCING them to do this stuff to make them/you look smart.

This is about searching for another parent to swap war stories with and realizing that everyone else seems to be fighting a completely different war. You're in the Navy and they are all Airforce.

I will say that it gets better (or at least that has been my experience). The kids come into their own, become their own people and I have become far more comfortable with who they are (and for that matter who I am). There are challenges (and probably always will be) but I am very lucky that I do have a very small circle that I can talk to (mostly online but a couple IRL). It took time but we're getting there. My IRL circle don't necessarily share the same challenges but they understand that they are challenges and can listen without judgment or feeling inferior/threatened. I don't live the challenges that say DCD or ASD brings but I can empathize and listen and at the root of it we're all parents of square pegs trying to function with round holes. Failing that there's always wine that bonds us together wink