I think it is more isolating being the parent of a toddler than that of an older child, it is more isolating being the mother than the father (because of the cultural expectations you are supposed to share) and it is more isolating in some communities than in others. If you live in a community where college prep track is the norm and y can reasonably expect a majority of children to be at least above 115 and a sizable minority (as opposed to 1 child on 50 or less) above 130, it is not *quite* as isolating to have your own giftie.

If you live in a rural community where respectability in the community is conferred for living somewhere in at least the third generation and having been doing the exact same thing as your neighbours do forever, and even having a professional degree puts you outside expected norms, it is a *lot* harder. Now that DS is in private school with a mostly professional community of parents, I can see the difference - we may be on the fringes, but we are not outside. Huge difference. Huge.

I hated my own isolation and hated my child's isolation at the same time as io enjoyed his conversation and art. I can *love* that my child has never needed a minute of prep for anything academic as I bemoan the fact that he has such a hard time fitting in.

It does get easier. Having a hard time is not the same thing as being completely, congenitally unable to fit in, after all. Having a foot I both camps, I would *not* compare it to having a special needs child, though. The fears are just too different.

Last edited by Tigerle; 07/03/15 02:46 AM.