I'm going to try to make this concise but as parents i'm sure you know how difficult it can be sometimes to sum your child up. My son started reading when he was two, I just realized one day he could read. it was not small cat, dog, cup stuff but really reading. not just that but he had basically learned all of the kindergarten intake info, shapes, colors, numbers, value etc. more time went on and he continued to absorb info like a sponge he taught himself to count in Japanese to 100 after recognizing that there numerical system follows a pattern. he went on to learn how to read numbers in several languages including Kanji.

he also has some uneven development however. on the flip side of all of this is some social and emotional immaturities and he hasn't been very interested in conversational language and is somewhat behind in that area. we had him test last year for admittance to kindergarten at school near our home for gifted kids. he was not accepted. i don't understand why he's able to do the things he can do if he isn't gifted?

Over the winter his hand writing sort of showed up one day, he was able to write numbers and letters before but his hand writing became more neat and had a better relationship in size to a piece of paper. from that came an explosion in math. today (kindergarten year) we get all of our working material from 5th and 6th grade math sources.

so, his school puts him at "at least" a 2nd grade reading level but his pre-school teacher tells me it might be higher because he reads to learn. His math is on par with probably a 5th grader even though we do some work that is considered 6th. now what? what do i do for 1st grade? we already had him test at the charter school for gifted kids thats near us and they said according to his test last year, he's not gifted. we contacted a school about an hour from us to see what they would possibly have to offer a kid like him but they immediately said - step on is IQ test. uh? it didn't do so well with testing last time, can't they just watch him do some stuff and see for himself that he's well advanced? i think art of the problem is the conversational speech. as skilled as he is in his areas he's not a verbal acrobat and they keep wanted to test him verbally. by next year i don't know where he'll be in Mathematics and language arts but i know he won't be anywhere near 1st grade - on the other hand he's much more comfortable socially and emotionally with that younger group and i don't think bumping him up a grade is the answer. he needs both, he needs to be young AND he need appropriate academics. what do i do next???

Last edited by londage; 10/09/15 01:23 PM.