I went through vision eye therapy (counting on my fingers....) 25+ years ago. Caught the vision problem (farsighted + eye tracking issues) in 4th grade and started therapy the end of 5th. Back then, I went 3 times a week for 6 months. It was a big time commitment!

4th and 5th grade, my grades were poor, I was stressed and confidence low. 6th grade I switched from private to public school, got a fresh start and I think the eye therapy really began to help. I actually think it also helped with my focus/ attention issues. Long story short- without much intervention I made up all the lost ground in math and writing by 7th grade and was placed in 8th grade algebra (I didn't want to because I still had some confidence issues but I ended up doing fine).

My point is that ground can always be made up down the road- especially with a bright child. I would ask her what she feels most comfortable doing? If easing the workload means that she has more time to focus on the therapy (less stress, pressure and homework) that could actually boost confidence down the road if the message she gets from school and parents is "We understand you are struggling through a challenge but we also have confidence in your future because you are a bright, hard working student."

Sports analogy: If your younger high potential athlete had a sports injury (like tendinitis) that needed time to heal, would you continue to make them train at high volume/ overload principle with risk of further injury because they have an elite competition at a Jr. level coming up? Or would you reduce their training volume so they could heal properly and protect their future success at a Senior level?

Either way- there are multiple ways to handle the problem and listening to how she feels might give you the best direction in what is best for her at this moment.