Originally Posted by Cookie
And heck the patch sounds like a great idea temporarily for one class as long as the vision therapist okays it. I'd ask which eye or if she should alternate eyes each day.

I would actually *not* consider using the patch - I say that as the parent of a child who had severe double vision and went through vision therapy. The reason I wouldn't ask - it isn't going to correct the problem, your dd needs the VT to do that. Chances are her eyes may already be shutting one eye down when she is experiencing double vision (that happened with my dd). If you introduce the patch as an accommodation at school, they school staff may not be as willing to give you other accommodations that are truly needed, and, more importantly, I doubt that wearing the patch will significantly help with fatigue due to schoolwork. The patch will definitely help with visual confusion but think about doing close up work like writing numbers or reading - it's not easy to maintain focus when only one eye is working.

Re the 504, I agree with DeeDee - submit your request in writing right away. It will help if you have specific recommendations from your dd's DO - our dd had recommendations for things such as preferential seating near blackboard etc - your accommodation requests should be specific to your dd's needs.

I wish I had some great suggestions for you re accommodations on the issues such as copying mistakes, missing signs, etc in math problems - that's an issue that still haunts my vision-challenged dd to this day. My dd needs extra time to double-check her work.

I also would try to not look at this as a 5-6 weeks until a "cure" (I'm not sure you are, but one of the folks who replied above sensed that it was a 5-6 weeks and all is good type of situation, hence I would want to be sure you didn't give that impression to school staff). If it *is* a 5-6 week program and your dd is done and all is good - that's great! My dd's experience and the other children I've known who've been through VT usually have programs that last much longer - and not to be discouraging in the slightest (VT was truly close to a miracle for our dd)... the results didn't last forever. Her double vision returned a few years out from VT and she had to do another round. Even now, when her vision is 10000 times better than it once was, seeing clearly is still hard work for her and her eyes fatigue much faster than her peers' eyes do. She still makes silly mistakes in math, and she has difficulty memorizing non-fiction material such as science and history, because the writing isn't as contextual as reading from fiction/stories, which results in a higher level of eye fatigue.

Re the things you've heard about how long it takes to get a 504 - I'm wondering if someone who's given you information about that isn't confusing it with the IEP process? A 504 is a much easier document to put together than an IEP, and typically (here) only requires one team meeting. It's important that you do your legwork and go into that meeting prepared, but there really isn't any reason it has to wait for 5-6 weeks or be a significant "process". If you haven't already, I'd look and see if you have any parent advocate groups in your area that you can call for advice (in this case it will probably only take a phone call). Ask what the process is in your school district for requesting a 504, who to address the 504 request to (in most districts there is a 504 coordinator at each school, and it wouldn't hurt to cc the school district 504 supervisor). Your request can be in the form of an email.

One other thing that might happen (I don't know that it will, but it might happen here) - is that the school may tell you they can give the accommodations your dd needs without a 504 plan. I would push for the 504 in your case because of the threat of having your dd removed from the math class due to grades. I would also not let the school move her back into the regular math class if the issue she's having are related to copying, writing, timed assignments etc - those are all most likely related to vision issues and have nothing to do with her true math ability. If the school balks at this and tries to push her to move back, remind them that this is denying her FAPE (free appropriate public education) due to her disability (vision issues). Keep your advocacy simple and direct, but *do* speak up and be firm.

Good luck! and keep us posted -

polarbear