Originally Posted by DeeDee
Your neuropsych is already fulfilling this role for you. You can ask specific questions about writing and EF in the followup meeting.
Yes, and the hope is he hasn't already graduated HS (or college) by the time I get a report and followup meeting. :P

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
I realize that this will be really, really hard for you to do, eco, but I think you need to consider not helping him with these assignments. If he turned in his best guess at what it was supposed to be, it would put the teacher on notice a lot better that he was having a problem with grasping the instructions. Part of the reason they summarize your concerns the way you describe is that all of his turned-in work is probably fine, and they don't understand how much you had to do to get him to a place of being able to perform like that.
I understand your point, but I am in damage-control mode right now, kind of in limbo. I don't ordinarily (in fact, practically never) help DS with his homework. His biggest issue isn't typically the quality of his work, but in actually handing in his work. There isn't a whole lot of this sort of assignment in his classes, and so far it's usually just graded for completion, so it's not affected his grades, per se. I do think it's affected teacher perception: his responses do look apathetic (that has been a constant accusation, and way off the mark).

He has so far, in MS, been wildly unpredictable and can seem fine for awhile and then suddenly tank. Since there is no wiggle room for him at this point (he can't drop below a C, even at quarter reporting), I'm needing to keep a closer eye on him than I typically would.

The writing piece surprised me, because I've never looked at his writing through the lens of "not being able" before. It is always this sort of thing that trips him up--the self-reflective, subjective types of questions.

Originally Posted by blackcat
I think it would be a good idea to help him if he's getting frustrated, but write an email to the teacher stating what his difficulty was, and what you did to help. Then you have those emails as documentation.
I didn't actually notice DS was frustrated--but I was. He seemed pretty clueless that what he was doing was unresponsive to the assignment. In the case of this particular class/teacher--the situation is complicated a bit by the fact she is a long-term sub, teacher is on maternity leave.

I do think this was eye-opening, and gives me a solid piece of evidence when I try to explain his struggles at the 504 meeting. The SPED process coordinator *may* be attending--it's unclear--perhaps if she does, I can make my case that this is more than general "unhappiness."

I mentioned NLD to her last year (during the request); she had never heard of it. I also said that I felt IEP had more teeth than 504, legally, but that didn't make the records, either, although she did state I thought the teachers were resistant to following 504 accommodations.