Originally Posted by spaghetti
Mine does the same. Part is that when he has followed what he thinks the paper says, he has been wrong in an "F" sort of way, so the confidence isn't there to proceed without caution. The other part is that he doesn't understand what he's supposed to do (which leads to the first part).

I've always thought it is some sort of subtle language problem, but I can't get any professional to see it.

So, I offer support, and his 504 says that the teacher is supposed to check for understanding (no, that never happens).

This is how I offer support:
1. What did your teacher say in class that you should do? Take the "nothing" or the directions and interpret them with him.

2. Read the paper and ask him what he thinks that means. Then offer your take on it. (likely you will both make mistakes, so you are "in it" together trying to decipher this document).

3. Then ask every day until he gets the paper back and look at it and see where you both went "wrong" or "right".

DS has gotten better at interpreting when I go through this step by step with him. And we had to set up a rule that you must let mom see instructions for every written assignment and you must listen and take notes in class to help mom. After his grades started to improve while taking less time (and I pointed this out many times so he'd see it), there is much less resistance.

FWIW, my teacher pleasing gifted writer will spontaneously ask me what I think the teacher meant. It's something every student wonders, but some kids just don't know what they don't know. Or they are aware of it and have trouble looking at possible solutions.
Every single thing you say here makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I'm still thinking over the WTHeck went wrong here, and having more developed thoughts about the assignment:

1--It is very abstract: he was to take him name, turn it into any part of speech he wished, and then follow a dictionary-entry format to "define" himself. He was to use seven definitions that essentially describe various components of his personality. Then come up with synonyms, antonyms, and other parts of speech.

(I think this is well above his ability in terms of self-awareness, abstraction, and imaginative, metaphorical language use).

2--There was not an example using a name, but just a sample dictionary entry format provided.

3--When I walked him through it, I was able to give feedback (no, that is not the kind of "definition" the teacher wants--that is just a synonym). He does not understand what the teacher wants, does not compute.

4--He was very resistant to exposing too much about himself. For instance, I suggested he say something like "very knowledgeable about sports" and he insisted he just say "knowledgeable."

So, in thinking it over, I think this assignment pretty much pushed on each and everyone of his pragmatic language deficits. Whew!

This is the sort of assignment that a teacher thinks will be a lot of fun (and would be, for my DD, for instance, who is introspective and imaginative). And it is also the sort of assignment that DS would naturally bomb, and it would look like refusal/defiance because, come on! How difficult is this? <---from the perspective of a teacher (or frankly, me) who finds this sort of thing entertaining and easy.

Ugh. I'm taking your point about Rule: all written assignments will be checked, assisted by me. Especially this type of thing.