Originally Posted by geofizz
On top of the issues you already identified with the assignment, it sounds like the instructions were in a wordy, narrative format. I suspect that he would have had a somewhat easier time if it were in a bullet-point list (or numbered list, like what you wrote above...).

That's an EF issue to a degree, but I'm also starting to notice a phenomenon that these instructions are really common in gifted programs for some reason. It's like the kind of people who run such programs think that way, and haven't yet learned how to communicate to the rest of the world who must parse information to make sense of it! Even driving directions have been sent as a wall of text.
I've noticed this also, particularly in Language Arts (somewhat ironic). I suspect that people who specialize in LA/English tend to be wordy (LOL) and also intuitive types. This assignment was really difficult to decipher, largely due to the font, but deciphering is also a life-skill, yes? If I'd designed it, I'd have given a concrete example followed by bullet points. Much easier, and not a lot of room for interpretation error. But I know how to do this because I also am confused by a lot of narrative, so have learned to be more concise with instructions.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
f you can, keep a copy of the instructions, draft, and result. This is primo evidence for your 504/IEP meeting...
Add the description of the process above as well, describing the time spend, and assistance needed.
The "draft" as it were has been deleted. But certainly, I can describe the process and what worked to resolve the issue, as well as the hours spent on a 30-minute (tops) project.

Zoiks. The interpretation of your concerns are a wee bit off the mark. Sometimes a failure to communicate is on the listener, not the speaker, though. Best to put things in writing to avoid such translation errors.
I didn't have the proper language last year, but am now armed and dangerous. :P I wouldn't put the blame entirely on the listener, in this case, but I'm pretty sure I mentioned other things besides general "unhappiness." In fact, DS would never describe himself as unhappy as school, even when all evidence points to the contrary. He happily attends with no resistance whatsoever. He says school is worth the trouble because of his peers.

Your written request should outline concerns about school performance and classroom behavior, and request an educational evaluation, including an evaluation of his pragmatic language skills. Generally I don't tell the school how to do their evaluation, but your school doesn't seem very capable in putting pieces together, so I might further elaborate asking that they evaluate how his pragmatic language skills affect his ability to function in the classroom, interact with teachers and peers, and interpret written and oral instructions.
This is golden, thank you. I may use these exact words--powerful and descriptive.

As an aside: in the record review by SPED process coordinator, it was also noted that teachers do not indicate any concerns about DS' academic abilities. He also scored "Advanced" in all MAP areas last year. On the one hand, this could work against the request for IEP; on the other, maybe it can be leverage since the consequence he's facing if he doesn't get it together is removal from the program. The rationale they cite is "if the student can't earn a C or better in each class, they have been inappropriately placed in a program of this academic rigor." I can see this working both ways. Maybe.

If he can't succeed in this program, we'll have the same problems along with some new ones--I'm not sure what grade level would be appropriate placement, since he is in HS math and science this year, and Communication Arts/Social Studies are compacted in this program--so he's ahead of seventh grade there, too. He would need at least one year acceleration in all subject areas. Kind of a mess.