On top of the issues you already identified with the assignment, it sounds like the instructions were in a wordy, narrative format. I suspect that he would have had a somewhat easier time if it were in a bullet-point list (or numbered list, like what you wrote above...).

That's an EF issue to a degree, but I'm also starting to notice a phenomenon that these instructions are really common in gifted programs for some reason. It's like the kind of people who run such programs think that way, and haven't yet learned how to communicate to the rest of the world who must parse information to make sense of it! Even driving directions have been sent as a wall of text.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
f you can, keep a copy of the instructions, draft, and result. This is primo evidence for your 504/IEP meeting...
Add the description of the process above as well, describing the time spend, and assistance needed.

Originally Posted by eco
When I received DS' records last week, I noticed that my concerns were summed up as: "Mother wants child tested because he is unhappy in school." No wonder I've been unsuccessful
Zoiks. The interpretation of your concerns are a wee bit off the mark. Sometimes a failure to communicate is on the listener, not the speaker, though. Best to put things in writing to avoid such translation errors.

Your written request should outline concerns about school performance and classroom behavior, and request an educational evaluation, including an evaluation of his pragmatic language skills. Generally I don't tell the school how to do their evaluation, but your school doesn't seem very capable in putting pieces together, so I might further elaborate asking that they evaluate how his pragmatic language skills affect his ability to function in the classroom, interact with teachers and peers, and interpret written and oral instructions.

Edit: Sent you a pm

Last edited by geofizz; 08/17/15 06:36 AM.