aeh I appreciate your input. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but for example the ACT Aspire, covers grades 3-10. My concern is, here at this gifted forum, if say a girl in 4th or 5th grade was already scoring 245 RIT on MAP, the MAP is no longer of use to her or her parents or teachers. Nor similarly would ACT Aspire be helpful, I project. Indeed as you point out, the MAP may be the wrong tool to begin with, for high achievers who test well.

The SRI though, would still offer granularity at her higher range, and last her a few more years, at which point she'd burn through that too.

In other words, if we were running a middle school for gifted kids, I conclude we'd bypass MAP completely. Use SRI. And... well not sure what other tests but its a start. Once I get my kids Davidson Young Scholar mentor, I'll present them with this conundrum.

I'm on board with testing, and even 3x a year, as MAP is often used. Where it falls down is when the student maxes it out early. Well, its still useful for my daughter for math and science.

I see the SMI and a MRI from Scholastic for math. I guess I don't understand this industry and who are the big dogs that manufacture all these test products. I wonder if there is any way to take SRI independently of a school, if as I fear my kids schools prove too bloody minded to offer it.

Last edited by thx1138; 07/12/15 12:25 AM.