Just wanted to get back to this thread as school is starting for us next week.

We were contacted by the principal and told that we will be placed into a class with one of the best 2nd grade teachers in the district.

I am concerned at this point because I can see after working extensively with DD over the summer that she is not where she should have been at this point. I feel she is behind and missing so much instruction the first year has really put her at a disadvantage. She will be placed with students who were in a very high performing class next year and I am not sure how she will do.

I keep seeing "If an elementary student has an ineffective teacher for even one year, a learning deficit can be measured up to four years later".

I feel that DD will never be able to catch up to these other children who received excellent instruction last year and by making this move now, the school is trying to save face.

So many anecdotes of ineffective teachers on here concerning high performing students. With the testing that we have available and the clear evidence of ineffective instruction, shouldn't we be seeing lots of cases of educational neglect? Would anyone here go so far as to sue a school district for their gifted students lack of instruction?