DD7 took the MAP test and only saw half her growth for the school year in reading. She was at 99th percentile at the beginning of the year and fell to 96th by the end. She was supposed to advance 20 points and only saw 10. No winter test so we could not see it but I knew she was regressing all school year. I almost took advice here and pulled her as many stated the regret they felt but DH is emotionally invested in the public schools here (why I do not know) and would not allow it.

I'm concerned about a long-term deficit from the lack of learning that took place. DH says "she's still 96%, no big deal".

Is this a big deal? Will it continue to haunt us now with low level reading groups in the future?

She had a brand new, inexperienced teacher who was really not together this year. Reading was put on the back burner for DD as I felt the teacher thought she could be somewhat ignored. Class was supposed to be "differentiated" but in reality it was very mixed with many students still reading picture books.

DD was kept on low level books for nearly 3/4s of the year (small paper readers from Fountain and Pinnell - no chapter books even), then all the sudden at the end of the year was given 1 book 200 points above her Lexile to read all by herself ( ie. ignored) which she obviously struggled with.