Originally Posted by shifrbv
We were contacted by the principal and told that we will be placed into a class with one of the best 2nd grade teachers in the district.
This is great news, thanks for sharing.

I am concerned at this point because I can see after working extensively with DD over the summer that she is not where she should have been at this point.
Have you kept a list of what working with her extensively over the summer consisted of? For example, titles you read aloud, books she self-selected, conversations on what she read, and her relative interest/strengths/difficulties observed?

I feel she is behind
Is there any possible vision issue and/or learning difference/disability? For example, dyslexia?

missing so much instruction the first year has really put her at a disadvantage.
What instruction, specifically, did other children have?

I keep seeing "If an elementary student has an ineffective teacher for even one year, a learning deficit can be measured up to four years later".
What is your source for this information?

Please be aware that there are other perspectives on this, such as:
... good parenting - in which parents understand, nurture, guide, and advocate for their high potential child - can overcome a year or more of mediocre or even negative school experiences.

I feel that DD will never be able to catch up
Many gifted children achieve multiple years of growth in a short timeframe with appropriate curriculum and pacing.

these other children who received excellent instruction last year
What, specifically, did this excellent instruction consist of?

by making this move now, the school is trying to save face
Is it possible there may be a positive reason for assigning your child to this teacher? For example, might this teacher's experiences help her to recognize any potential learning differences/disabilities and/or may this teacher have an approach which may be effective with your child?

So many anecdotes of ineffective teachers on here concerning high performing students.
Some may say this is because schools are generally focused on improving the performance of the students at the bottom.

With the testing that we have available and the clear evidence of ineffective instruction, shouldn't we be seeing lots of cases of educational neglect?
What specific evidence do you have of ineffective instruction? In other words, have you eliminated all other possible explanations for lack of growth, such as vision issues, learning difference/disability? Does your child have an enriched home environment similar to classmates? Is there a pattern of ineffective teaching or educational neglect on the part of this teacher? Do you have documentation to support your assertions?

Would anyone here go so far as to sue a school district for their gifted students lack of instruction?
In general, a parent cannot make their case based on what they "feel" or by articulating their fears; they must prove wrongdoing (such as violation of existing legislation and policy). It is my understanding that if a parent attempts to sue a school district and does not win the case, they may be financially obligated to pay the school district's attorney fees.