Is there an alternative to the MAP test that goes higher for gifted students?

Whatever kind of school (public, private, home) I like the idea of testing regularly. I like the MAP test. Both my children’s schools use it.

The problem is, gifted kids eventually max out the MAP test. They hit the ceiling and it becomes useless to them. Sooner rather than later for those of us in this forum. I believe NWEA on their MAP documentation says that reading RIT really only runs up to 245. Not to kvell but my 4th grader hit that. (Though still room to improve and MAP still useful for math and science).

I asked DD gifted school, and they are sticking to MAP. It serves at least the lower half of their grades K-8. And they say they haven’t found an alternative.

I asked NWEA (the publisher of MAP) and they don’t seem to respond to questions from parents.

Can NWEA develop “extended norms” (like the WISC test adds after enough results come in)? Or can they just extend their test beyond its current maximum at about 10th grade level. Or would their marketing department kill this notion.

So is there any alternative to MAP. Just have 'em sit the SAT 2 or 3 times a year starting in 5th grade?

Last edited by thx1138; 07/11/15 12:45 PM.