Thanks for your reply notnafnaf

Originally Posted by notnafnaf
first thing - it is not the school's decision to decide if homeschooling is a good idea or not. So I would not include them in the decision, especially as they seem to be indicating that she is not doing well now.

We really like the school and DD's teacher. They would need to be included in the decision to the extent that it is a small private school with waiting lists, and it would want to be sure DD had a place to go back to in year 1, and that she is at the level they expect for year 1. Her teacher is really supportive of her, and really likes DD, and I know she is struggling academically. She told me not to panic, and that she will try to think of something to do to help the situation. We are doing Psychoeducational testing next month, so we will get an idea of her IQ and areas of strength and weakness that should help with planning. She has a HG+ brother, and we have just assumed from her spoken ability and the comments she makes and questions she asks that she will test gifted as well. But it is possible that she won't. I am relatively confident she is not being under challenged, but maybe the classroom is not a fit in other ways.

Originally Posted by notnafnaf
If you are able to homeschool for the rest of the school year, I am curious - what would be the reasons your husband would be against it? You may be seeing asynchronous development here - but - have you talked to your child to see if your DD feels that she is too tired? Sometimes "losing her spark" can have a different root cause than you think - so it is important to see what she thinks. Is it because she is tired or is it because the system/class is not working as expected?

My husband would be against it as it means taking a 6 month break from my own study, but I am willing to do that if I decide it is in DD's best interest. My husband would agree that DD is more important than my study, but he might not agree on the need to change, he might think she will get through it and be okay if she stays on school. DD does complain about being too tired and working too hard.