Originally Posted by Platypus101
Originally Posted by Dubsyd
She saw areas of concern including eye scanning/tracking issues and sound production involving sh sounds, writing difficulties, and not having mastered letter sound correspondence.

It's great that you will soon have some real information to start working with, and can start to tease out whether there are underlying causes to address, or if your DD just needs a little more time to catch up developmentally. Given the flags above, you may want to try to fill in the psych's finding with assessments of auditory and visual processing. Both can cause issues with learning to read and write, and can end up looking a lot like dyslexia.

This is last week of term for us, then the kids have 3 weeks holidays. Over the holidays, DD will have an assessment with a new behavioural optometrist, and she is also having a full assessment with a speech pathologist. I believe the WJ-III Cognitive that she took does cover some auditory processing. I believe DD is still too young for a lot of auditory processing tests?

I am looking forward to seeing her full psych report and seeing her areas of strength and weakness.

I don't like not knowing which year DD will be in next year. I know we have to wait to see where she how she is doing at the end of the year, but I just want to know. DD said the other day, "I am nearly halfway through K", and I thought, or nearly a quarter of the way through . . . Then the other night she said, "I don't want to go to term 3 mom, school is too hard". And I want to tell her its okay, and if she is not ready, she won't have to go to year 1 next year. (ETA: of course this is not how we would phrase it, it would just be that we made a mistake and she is not the correct age for year 1, which is technically true since her birthday is a month past the cutoff) But how will she take that news, relieved? disappointed? And I don't want to just give up on keeping her going, but I also don't want to push her too hard if she is going to be repeating K anyway.

It is hard enough to advocate when you know what you want for your child, I am torn. I know I am doing the right thing at the moment, collecting information, and giving her another few months to see how she goes. I guess I am just impatient to know something that can't be known yet.

Last edited by Dubsyd; 06/15/15 06:50 PM.