Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
I also wonder about a growth spurt or some other physical issue (allergies? around here the seasonal ones wipe my kids out if they are on meds for them).

How did your DD do the first several weeks?

Apparently she has been struggling from day 1. We didn't really know until our first parent teacher meeting at the end of term 1. The teacher said the one thing she had going for her was that she was positive and always kept trying. She really struggles with handwriting. We have started OT for her. I asked her yesterday what she finds hardest about school, and she said reading and writing. She didn't really make any reading progress In term 1. I started working with her between terms and continued into the term, and she has finally moved up a couple of reading levels, but she is still in the remedial reading group, and struggling a lot with writing.

The teacher was saying she is physically tired, but also that she seems to be giving up a bit. She is not raising her hand anymore, and just not engaging well in the classroom.

I will definitely speak to the teacher more and hear her ideas. But if sending her was a mistake, no point in her continuing to suffer with it. I could take her outm, work with her at home, and as ndw suggested, the school could assess her level at the beginning of next year to find the right placement for her.

The only thing I am not sure about is that they have a preferred class size for primary and I think they are strict with keeping that for the Kindy year, so I don't know how they handle holding kids back in K if they have a full incoming class. They did suggest giving her till the end of year 1 before holding her back at the meeting we had at end of term 1.

Thanks for all the input. I will keep you updated on what we decide.