Lepa, I'm sorry you didn't get into the other schools - it sounds terribly frustrating!

I'm not in San Francisco (although I'm jealous you are actually living in the city and can afford it lol!).. so I can't offer advice about specific schools. I do, however, want to reassure you about one thing:

The psychologist, who knows my son well and has worked with him extensively over the last year, actually told me that my son has the potential to be a genius if we can provide the appropriate opportunities and that sending him to this school puts him at risk. What am I supposed to do?

"the potential to be a genius" - that comment refers to ability. Your ds is not going to *lose* his ability by going to a school that isn't a great fit. The school experience may be frustrating for him and for your as parents (we've btdt... quite a bit actually)... but he isn't going to not be who he is in terms of his abilities... hope that makes sense! So your situation for now is what it is, and you can and will advocate for the best fit you can... but don't spend time and effort being sad or worried that this experience will put your ds "at risk".

That said, I'd pay attention to the psychologist's advice - more so than the preschool teacher. I'm curious - you tried looking at schools that required an admissions process - what have you heard about your neighborhood school? Is there any chance your ds might get support there? Or is it not in great shape and not an option?

Is there also any chance you are on a wait list for one of the other schools? And did you get any input on why your ds didn't get into any of the other schools? Are they lottery schools or private schools with selective admissions? Can you apply again in a year?

polarbear