I would like some recommendations for schools that welcome gifted children and do a good job of supporting their needs. We live in San Francisco. Last week we learned that we only got into one of six independent school kindergarten programs that we applied to. While the school that accepted my son looks like a great place for my son, the psychologist who runs a social skills group my son participates in has warned that we shouldn't send him there. She said they cannot meet his needs. I feel really awful because we don't have a choice. We didn't get into any other school. The psychologist, who knows my son well and has worked with him extensively over the last year, told me that my son has the potential to be a genius if we can provide the appropriate opportunities and that this school isn't going to give him the resources or support he needs. What am I supposed to do?

We applied to Nueva and didn't get in. There was stiff competition and very few spots. I also suspect that my son's uneven scores hurt his application (he had a large gap between VCI and fluid reasoning and average processing speed). We were heartbroken because we loved the school's program and thought it would be a great fit for my extremely creative son.

We also applied to a handful of other schools. During our parent interviews many of the schools suggested that we apply to Nueva and expressed concern about meeting our son's needs or providing a peer group. And all of them wait listed us. If it were just our family, I would think my son's introverted personality was the issue but we know five other families with gifted kids who also applied to Nueva (so they had their kids tested and confirmed their high IQs). Two got into Neuva and will be going. The kids who didn't get into Nueva had terrible luck. Two gifted boys didn't get into a single school, despite applying widely. These kids are very smart, charming, well behaved and go to great preschools. They have lovely, successful parents. And they have no school to go to. This is deeply upsetting to me. There has to be a lot of gifted kids in San Francisco so what schools welcome them?

My husband and I feel so sad that we were not able to find a place for my son that we feel confident will meet his needs. I'd love some perspective from people on here about where else we can look if the psychologist's warnings turn out to be true. We are willing to move/travel out of San Francisco if that is necessary.

Thank you!

Last edited by Lepa; 11/18/19 12:58 PM.