I really do want to get the gifted testing done. I do have money I can draw from to get it done. I know there is a gifted center in Rhode Island and my son's LICSW also pointed us to a therapist nearby who does it. Which particular test should I be looking for?

I had a hunch that having that "proof" would be helpful. I do not think he has any learning issues at this point, so I don't think we could use that as an excuse to get cheaper testing. He's never had any trouble with school besides having to refocus him once in a while when he runs at the mouth. wink

Home issues are another story. He's always been extremely stubborn and defiant. We see the LICSW I mentioned above to help him with these things, with mixed results. He has trouble following directions and doing routines. He gets angry when he's reminded of what to do because he says he knows, but then wanders off and does the opposite of what I said anyway. He has these super complicated ideas and then gets frustrated and angry when he doesn't have the ability or resources to carry them out. (I'm still recovering from the leprechaun trap fiasco...) It's been a real challenge and it's only recently that I realized there was a connection between giftedness and these particular struggles. I was hesitant to call him gifted, because I think that someone can be smart for their age but not gifted, but I see a lot of signs of it.