Originally Posted by kjs
I don't know the name of the math test, but yes, it was a school-administered test that they gave all the kids.
You may wish to inquire about the name of the test and what specifically the scores mean. You may wish to keep a copy for your own records at home. Collecting information about your child's educational progress may prove useful for future advocacy and decision making.

my main concern is him being bored at school (I did read the thread about using the word bored after I wrote my post!) I don't want him to lose that motivation and ability simply due to lack of stimulation. He is worried that he if he learns more after school, he'll be even more bored at school.
It's OK to be frank on the forums and speak of boredom and kids being bored in school when they are not learning, progressing and being challenged, but other word choice is beneficial when speaking with schools or individuals who may not be familiar with gifted. This recent thread has several posts which discuss reasons to not use the word "bored" when advocating.

He is worried that he if he learns more after school, he'll be even more bored at school.
This is a valid concern. However it may be outweighed by the damage of not learning, causing brain changes, which may make it much more difficult to learn in the future. Some have said that it is growing increasingly difficult to access higher level curriculum during the school day in schools which have adopted common core, which tends to focus on all students meeting standards, and does not necessarily facilitate or encourage continued progress for students who've met standards.