Welcome!
Originally Posted by kjs
He is in second grade and has always seemed a bit ahead of his peers but this year he tested at 5th grade for math and 6th grade for reading.
What type of test was this? For example, was this a school-administered online adaptive test like MAP test (Measures of Academic Progress)?

He's also interested in things that aren't really available for his age around here, like coding, programming and robotics. The programs we find online or on apps are too advanced, he gets frustrated and gives up.
There are some good online programs, and asking for recommendations may be a good question to post on the forum. Frustration is something to work on, it may be related to perfectionism.

There is no gifted program in our district. We're from Massachusetts and I read how bad the options are for GAT kids and I am starting to see it for myself.
You may wish to read up on advocacy and speak to the school about placing your son at the appropriate level of curriculum for math and for reading. If you might consider a grade skip, you may wish to become familiar with the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS).

I want to get him tested for giftedness but this costs $600-1500 dollars (depending on the type of test, I guess). I just called my insurance and they don't cover it. We have decent insurance so I was hoping they would, but I guess not.
Insurance typically covers IQ tests only if there is a possible diagnosis of learning disability.

I guess I just don't know what to do next. He says he hates school and while I think he is exaggerating a bit, I know he is bored.
Since you mentioned that you are not currently working, might you consider homeschooling? Lots of good information at Gifted Homeschoolers Forum (GHF)

The thing is, how do we know if he's always going to be so ahead of his grade or if he will eventually even out?
It is not possible to forecast this, as a child's learning is dependent upon many factors including IQ and opportunity, invoking the old nature/nurture debate.

Is there any place I can look into for reduced rate gifted testing or different payment options?
Some families have had their child tested by the Psychology department of their local university. However many parents believe it is worth the extra cost to have their children tested by someone familiar with gifted. Hoagies' list provides a good starting point.

I guess I'm wondering what you all think I should do next--much appreciated!
Read the info at all links, scour old posts on the forum, and consider homeschooling. smile