Originally Posted by syoblrig
Originally Posted by Ivy
DD was adamantly against it back then (after 1st) as she was very sensitive about being seen as different. Of course she was also completely miserable in school.

This is one reason we delayed skipping my son for so long. He was miserable, we knew he was miserable, but we also knew his best friend was in his current grade and class and he didn't want to skip because of that.
Originally Posted by ndw
We didn't skip our DD in sixth grade because she said no. She was miserable for the whole year.

I think this can't be repeated often enough: when your kid is miserable, that is a crisis and doing nothing is not the "safest" thing, and skipping may not be the bigger risk even though teachers, and often parents, and sometimes kids, think it is.
Our kid might be happier in a higher grade, or he might not. He is bored in maths and has meltdowns during revision period at the beginning of the school year. But for the rest of the year, the rest of the day, he is NOT miserable. If he were, this whole trade off debate would have had to be different.
I think it is important to view grade skipping in a somewhat more clinical way: not driven by the stark test scores, but by the child's day to day, demonstrated needs (as we parents, experienced testers, competent teachers and not least our children can assess them).

Last edited by Tigerle; 12/23/14 02:08 PM.