Originally Posted by Peter
In the nutshell, they are decelerating gifted track students. This is the HS that have 40-50 NMS scholars a year. They leave the door ajar by mentioning exceptionally talented students so we see what happens when we get there.
Are they going to continue to offer AP Calculus BC for the top level kids? If so the kids will get to the same place in the end. Most places I know ones takes AB or BC calc, not one then the other. And that is how the AP system sells the class. I was surprised to see the current Calculus sequence.

The question is it enough for your kids? Will these TAG classes really be more difficult. My son would be happier if the classes he was taking had more proofs in them and did more abstract math.

Even though it doesn't say anywhere in the document about Common Core, if you are in the US I suspect that is what is driving this. Is this a public school? If it is I'm very surprised by the 4 year math requirement. Their line about NEEDING 4 years of math to get into college is a little bit stretching it. IF you are going into STEM, yes.. And IF you want a top tier school, yes. But lots & lots of universities will accept students who's top math class is Algebra II.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/04/14 02:27 PM.